CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
Daisypath Vacation tickers
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Flights booked - birthday candles packed

I don't know who invited Debbie downer to the last few posts but I kicked her off the bus.  Yes there have been issues - major issues - things that will be discussed later but after bitching it out for a day or so and getting a going away evening with my hockey team, I feel better and a little more settled on moving forward.  So, flights are booked - just need to give the go ahead on payment and it's done.  And yes, BIRTHDAY CANDLES ARE PACKED... I've made arrangements to come in 2 days early so that I am there to celebrate that day with him... Just like I promised him :)  Funny thing, as much as I loathed the round the world adventure last trip, looks like I'm tee'd up for round two of the journey via Moscow.  Seoul / Tokyo were not options that worked at all.  Flights were around $4k each and connections via the milk run made my head spin.  So, gingerly, my travel agent suggested a muligan on my Christmas trip.  The difference this time, I've been there, it's not scary and even if I do miss a flight, it's ok we've built in a little extra time and I know where I'm going in the mean time.  Plus, KLM flights were really nice.  So, all said and done, I'm leaving May 19th at 6pm via Amsterdam then on to Moscow where I'll do the passport control scramble, dodge the customs officers and leap to the baggage claim to sprint to the other terminal and get checked in for my onward flight to Khabarovsk.  I'm tired just writing it.  At least it's not winter anymore so delays shouldn't be severe... but hey, maybe this time if I have to I'll try out the other airport hotel - maybe they have a better breakfast buffet?  Ole will come in for my court date - she arrives on May 31 at noon - court is June 1st at 11:30.  She will be with me for the rest of the trip.  It will be great to have her along for Moscow where we'll have a day to do some sight seeing... looks like I'll get that picture in front of St. Basils after all.  AND, just found out that I'll overlap with my new bloggie friend Steph who will be in Moscow long enough to share a starbucks coffee and hug - what a journey for us both.  We will all be coming home on a flight to touch down at 3:30 pm on June 24th.  Home forever.  Hope to see you at the airport (even though you will have to tell your boss you have a doctors appointment in order to skip out of work early)
So, in an effort not to make anyone cry this post (I was told last night that my friends now come armed with kleenex and that they have learned not to read it in public) I wanted to say thanks... thanks to the people who have reached out to me through this whole ditty and thanks to the friends who have donated so generously to Corbins orphanage.  We are getting really close to having FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! to donate to them.  I am so greatful... but more so, thanks for the cards you sent with the donations and the kind things you said, thanks for sharing the email request at work in your team meetings, thanks for forwarding it on to others who just might need a reality check and to know how really good we have it, thanks to the friends who with hidden tears in their eyes have told me that what I'm doing makes a difference and that they are proud of me.  Now let me re phrase that: I don't think you should be proud of me - I wanted to be a Mama - full stop.  My son is along for the ride in that dream.  Selfishly, my dreams are shared by him in the opportunities that he will be afforded in life -but that doesn't make me a hero - I'm just selfish and want to be a mom like all the rest of you out there.  For me, what makes me happy is the fact that so many of you have told me that this process, the email, the stories, the pictures - you've told me that in one way or another you have been moved by it.  And in that interpretation of what MY journey means to you, good things are happening.  Donations have been made to my cause but more importantly, I think people have stopped to think about what THEIR cause is.  One of my very favorite quotes is
I don't care what you believe in, as long as you believe in something
So, with that, I am feeling pretty smug that in following my dream, my cause, I might just have inspired or reminded others to think about what they believe in. And that, is a good thing. (No tissue required ladies - this one's for you)


5 comments:

Tracey and Chuck said...

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see you have the birthday candles packed!!! We are sooooooo excited for you and cannot wait to see pictures of your little boy!!!! Get ready, time flies and you will be boarding that plane to celebrate his birthday with him before you know it!!!!

amy said...

OMG OMG OMG I'm just getting caught up on your blog and you have a court date & travel plans ~ CONGRATS from the bottom of my heart!!! I am soooooooooooooo excited for you & Corbin! Woohoo! Can you tell I'm doing a happy dance for you right now?! FINALLY!

Silvana said...

I am so happy for you. I was able to be with Aleksander on his birthday, and it was the best thing that could have happened!! All the best for you, thanks for bringing me along for the ride.
:)

judy said...

Glad things are moving forward...it will be slow motion til you get there, then it seems that time truely does fly...It seems like yesterday (it was almost 7 years ago) that i was preparing to bring home my oldest!

Savor every moment!

julian said...

If I was any kind of man, I would quit my job and travel with you...God, I wish I could. Sounds crazy but I am green with envy with what you are about to do..
Listen to this advice. Seriously, listen...ENJOY RUSSIA. ENJOY IT ALL..YOU WON'T BE BACK FOR A WHILE IF EVER, AND YOU NEED TO BE IN LOVE WITH KHAB IN ORDER TO PUT YOUR CHILD'S "EMOTIONAL HOUSE IN ORDER" IN THE FUTURE...
GO TO THE MUSEUMS. GO TO THE OPEN AIR MARKET. GO TO THE LIQUOR STORES AND BUY KHABAROVSK VODKA...TRY TO GO TO THE CERAMICS FACTORY AND SEE WHERE THEY HAND MAKE ALL THE PELMINI AND BORCSHT POTS..STARE AT THE RIVER AMUR AND THANK GOD FOR YOUR LITTLE BLESSING..SIT IN THE PARKS. GO TO THE SPORTS STADIUM BEHIND THE INTOURIST. JUST ENJOY IT.. REALLY.
EAT AT SCALINI'S...WE ALL HAVE.
EAT FROM THE STREET VENDORS. TAKE LOTS OF DEEP BREATHS AND LOTS OF PICS!!
wE LOVE YA GIRL!!
JULIANNE